Saturday, April 24, 2021

Drunk Halfling Sentry

 

 
 If looking for a miniature that tells a story, you could do a lot worse than the Citadel C11 Halflings from back in 1988.  I think the first miniature I ever painted was from this range, using poster paints – I repainted that model again more recently, it looked a bit better this time.   These are super little models, each with so much character!

Have a look at the range here, courtesy of Stuff of Legends: http://www.solegends.com/citc/c011halflings/index.htm

 

 
This fella was named ‘Hero’ when he was released.  I didn’t give him a name… it would probably be something like ‘Tiddler the Tipsy’, but he isn’t much of a hero when he is almost unconscious, propped up against his spear.  I never felt the need to convert him, he is a perfect miniature.


A joy to paint, using Vallejos for the earthy colours (browns, creams, wood, etc) because they have a far broader range than GW.  I do use GW paints for colours such as red and blue as I think they have stronger pigment and hold the colour better… saying that the Vallejo greens are very good!  The red and green colouring is to represent the colours of apples, one of which is on the base.

 

Don’t forget the little things like fingernails, eyebrows, etc.  They might not stand out, but it’s the little details that people will spot – that’s what makes the difference between winning models in the competitions.

 

You might notice that I still use metallic paints.  I’m not a fan of NMM, it just doesn’t appeal… there are so many good metallic paints out there why not use them?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Talking of detail this fella is so tipsy he is spilling his scrumpy – the cider was made by patiently heating clear plastic rod over a candle and when it starts to melt pulling it to the required thickness.  Please be careful - don’t hold the plastic too close or it will burn, and don’t set fire to anything.  A little tea light is best.  Once I had extruded the plastic a small length was glued in place between the mug and base, with layers of clear PVA painted over to the required thickness and also to cover over the ‘joins’.  A couple of layers of yellow ink mixed with gloss varnish completed that.


 

Because I had made no changes to the model I felt the need to assuage my OCD by adding more to the base.  Lots of little grass, leaves, plants and flowers from a variety of sources, plus the apple!  This was made from green stuff with a wire stalk – at least one is added to each Halfling I paint, to the extent that I have started a Halfling warband, the Scrumpton Militia (using the sublime Sabre Miniatures models) whose imagery is based around apples and the orchards they guard… more of them another day!

 

Not much to say about this fella really!  A simple model with a simple paint job… but I think he is great, I hope you like him too 😊

 

 

 

 

 Thanks for reading... thoughts, tips, questions and comments are welcomed :)



P.S. Do you want to avoid paying full price for GW models?  Looking for a friendly independent model store that is also great value?  Visit my friends at the Cryptic Cabin: www.crypticcabin.com .  They also have a lovely little store in Wokingham...

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Otto Long Arm – Bestiarum Miniatures

I remember a time when I would get excited about new releases by Citadel Miniatures.   This faded as GW largely moved away from the sort of ...