Sunday, February 28, 2021

Eldar Warlock – Golden Demon UK 40K Single Miniature Silver, 1999

 

 


Over the years my conversions got more and more extreme, sometimes ending up as something unrecognisable from the original which would take hours and hours of work.  Back in 1999 I was a bit more restrained (or less able?) and I think this model shows that more subtle changes here and there can make a huge difference.  My Eldar Warlock has sat quietly in my cabinet for over 20 years now, overshadowed by many other zany creations, but he still catches my eye thanks to his organic simplicity (Note – my wife just spotted the photo on my monitor and thought it was beautiful... and asked who had painted it… very different to my more recent monstrosities?!). 

 


Around the time I started this mini I had bought my first Dremel, and spent many happy hours simply chopping up metal models – I could scream thinking about some of the classics I destroyed with those spinning blades of doom!  Thankfully this one was spared.  The original model was a classic Warlock – if you compare the two it’s a bit of a ‘spot the difference’ once you get past the new weapon and helmet extension.  The Dremel was used differently with this, more to clean up areas that had had something cut away (largely on the sleeve) and to carve the blade.   

 

  

 The old Wraithsword was cut away and replaced with a new halberd made from metal rod, a plastic Eldar Chainsword, a blade made of plasticard and some Milliput.  The Original hand had to be twisted to fit the weapon, and the staff was carefully placed to not only follow the line of the robes, but also to cover as much of the ‘cleaned up’ areas as possible.  It was also placed to run parallel to the right leg.

The helmet was extended using a really nice back section from an old Rogue Trader era Guardian, blended to the original with more Milliput.  Then there were further simple little details added – a gem here, a little tail there.  These additions might seem almost insignificant at the time, but my favourite models are ones where you can keep going back and seeing new things… How many times would someone have to look before noticing the icon on the forehead or the Eldar script on the back of the rock? 

 


Painted entirely in GW paints over black (which you can see around the edges of the faceplate – almost green!) this followed the Ulthwe scheme of bone and black.  I have always enjoyed painting bone, and this scheme contrasts really well I feel.   It would have been easy to paint the detail on the robes in bone as well, but using grey as the base colour (up to the same white highlight) gives some variety without being overstated.  To help this further I used the same grey for the white detail as I used to highlight the black robes; effectively one flows into the other.

 

Red gems, crest and tassel provide a nice bit of spot colour that isn’t overwhelming, while the yellow face gives a nice central focus before you move on to the rest of the model.  Grab a ruler and have a look – if you compare the overall height and width of the model (including the weapon and base) it’s almost dead centre.  That means most people will be looking at the face first so it is really important to get it looking right.  When seeing a model people usually look for faces first and the eyes as the first part of the face… I’ll talk more about that in another blog…

 


A nice rock for the base (to which the model has been pinned thanks again to the Dremel!) with some plasticard runes to give you a bit more of a story around the model.  You can see more of the toothbrush grass (see my Lictor Blog) and larger leaves, two of which were paper which was shaped then coated in PVA glue, the other was made from Milliput.  For once I think the green base rim works here as it’s the same Goblin Green I used for the grass!  How I miss Goblin Green….

 

This mini won a Silver Daemon, nestled surprisingly between Werner Klocke’s elaborate Jain Zar and Jakob Nielsen’s very unique Imperial Missionary.  I never expect to win any awards, so this was great… especially as Jakob’s Missionary is nicer… but don’t tell him that…

Check out the other winners here:  http://demonwinner.free.fr/uk/1999/golden_demon_winner.php?categorie=1

 


 Thanks for reading... thoughts, tips, questions and comments are welcomed :)

 

P.S. If you're looking for older miniatures at a decent price (avoid the scalpers!) why not check out Figflog on eBay?  He always has a nice range of stuff available.

Find him here:  https://www.facebook.com/AverageJoesStudio/

 

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful work on this model - the conversion work is perfect as it's hard to tell it even is a conversion until looking quite closely. As ever it's great to have better photos of these models to pore over, I remember squinting very hard at this one in the small photo in the White Dwarf in 1999!

    ReplyDelete

Otto Long Arm – Bestiarum Miniatures

I remember a time when I would get excited about new releases by Citadel Miniatures.   This faded as GW largely moved away from the sort of ...