Saturday, January 23, 2021

Marauder Goblin Officer

 

 


 

Every miniature is a character, and you have to admit this little fella certainly has plenty of that! He is a Marauder Miniatures MM30/6 Goblin Officer… or as I prefer to refer to him: a ‘cool little tinpot Grot’.

It’s not often I can pick up a model and go straight to the undercoat without changing something, but this wee fella is as natural as the day he was cast.  He’s got the pose, the attitude and is a perfect sculpt from Ali Morrison.



 I don’t think I took a shortcut and painted inks over bare metal, he was likely a black undercoat.  Although I’d usually always ‘start on the inside and work out’ – skin, then clothing / armour, this chap was armour first; GW metals then ink washes to dull it down a bit and paint some rust.  You can spot some of the greatest ink ever, Chestnut. 

GW greens for the skin, highlighted by adding white.  Whereas I’d use yellows to highlight an Orc, Gobbos I think are a little pastier, hence the white.  The blood looks dramatic, but this fella probably didn’t kill much himself, he just butchered a goat or something to make himself look mean – red paint with a layer of Tamiya clear red to make it nice and shiny.



Every heroic Grot has to stand atop a rock to make himself look taller.  The ‘tree’ at the back is real wood, but instead of using the top part of a plant pull up some roots, clean them off and let them dry.  They make for far more interesting and organic shapes and look a bit more realistic at such a small scale.  Various static grasses and modelling leaves complete the base.

 

This fella never went to any competitions.  He was just for me, and now I have figured out how to take better photos I can share him with you...

 

 

See the MM30 range here: http://www.solegends.com/marauder/mm30goblins.htm

 

Thanks for reading... thoughts, tips, questions and comments are welcomed :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Otto Long Arm – Bestiarum Miniatures

I remember a time when I would get excited about new releases by Citadel Miniatures.   This faded as GW largely moved away from the sort of ...