Saturday, January 23, 2021

Alo...

So here we are!

I’ve never thought about Blogging about my miniatures before, or even about putting them on Instagram.  I guess I’ve never been of the opinion that many people would be particularly interested… I wasn’t one of the best-known painters, or the most inventive and I’m certainly not one to go for these fancy techniques such as NMM or directional lighting.  I just painted stuff I liked, entered the odd competition, won the odd award and as time went on my models became a memory of the ‘Warhammer that was’, eclipsed by the excessive light and shoutiness of a new Age of Sigmar.

And so that was it.  Time goes on, children appear and work hours become longer.  GW nerfed Warhammer and along with it my desire to play the games (except for Blood Bowl!).  The amount of time I got to spend on my hobby dwindled and we are now at the point that I’ve not finished a miniature for over a year and not entered a competition for even longer… started many projects, but finished none.  My best mate Joe has been harassing me to 'get more hobby done', that I 'need to paint more', and I’ve always agreed.  I even undercoated a few.


As if from nowhere there was a shift in the Warp recently.  I started to get the odd message from people on Facebook about my miniatures, then a post appeared on the Oldhammer Facebook group (cheers Darren) and got loads of responses.  It seemed that people just might be a little curious; not interested, but a little curious.  I was also approached by people wanting to add some of my models to their own collections – I couldn’t part with my creations, but maybe I could take photos from different angles, just to satisfy the curiosity.  Maybe add a little blurb about their creation (goodness knows I like to blurb).

So here we are.  A blog and an Instagram page of my models of yesteryear.  Who knows, maybe it will give me a rocket in the fundament and encourage me to create some more models of tomorrow?

Here is the plan: To pull out my sadly underused flashy camera and take some photos of my better known creations and present them in ways people may have not seen them before.  Also to present models that people won’t have seen at all.  Maybe answer questions, provide tips.  If it provides a bit of distraction from the gift of Nurgle we are all facing at the moment, or encourages someone else to try something new, then it’s worth it.

 

Fancy joining the Facebook Oldhammer Community?  Check it out here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/400319303383363/about

Someone mentioned this new-fangled thing called Instagram… apparently the kids like it…:
https://www.instagram.com/grumpypaintinggit/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Otto Long Arm – Bestiarum Miniatures

I remember a time when I would get excited about new releases by Citadel Miniatures.   This faded as GW largely moved away from the sort of ...